An Open Letter to the Overwhelmed Mama

 Stormee’s first steps. Video credit to Grandma SheVele.

Crying. Crying. And more crying. Whenever someone asks me what my journey through motherhood has been like, this is it. There's no rhyme or reason to it. There's no instruction manual. Some days are good...and some are bad. Most days, we (moms) are just trying to survive.

Between the everyday struggles of adulthood and raging tantrums, it can be overwhelming (I mean, we don't call Stormee the "tiny terror" for nothing). After Stormee goes to sleep, I reflect on the day and find myself thinking about all the things I should have done. I should have paid more attention. I should have played with her more. I should have read her a bedtime story. And every night, before bed, I find myself questioning whether or not I am doing this whole mommin' thing right (Yes, even two years in I feel this way). But then, I take a step back from the TV and social media....all the negativity and, instead of thinking about the title mom from my perspective, I start to look at it from Stormee's perspective.

I get it, you may be wondering, if it's so difficult, why do I do what I do then; or maybe you're a mom that needs a reminder of why we do this whole "parenting" thing. If you are either one of those, here are 3 simple reasons why:


1. To Your Child, You Are Wonder Woman

In my daughter's eyes, I am a hero (McBride, Martina. In My Daughter's Eyes. RCA Records. 2003). When I was a little girl, I thought my mom was the prettiest, smartest, strongest, and bravest in the room. Little did I know, that she was just trying her best to make it. She didn't let us see her tears when she was sad and she never made it known how truly scared she was---even if we did give her gray hair. All jokes aside, even at 27 years old, I still believe that she is the prettiest, smartest, strongest, and bravest in room. Why? Well, first off she raised me, and second, just like Stormee did not come with a manual, neither did I and we turned out alright. ;)


2. For Your Little, You Are So Many Firsts

I know what you're thinking. Moms are usually the last to eat, the last to get in the car, the last to get to bed, and so on. But, those are the little things. For the big things, I've been so many firsts as a mom--first steps, first words, and everyday I get to be the first one she wakes up to. No, it doesn't seem like much, but when I reflect and realize that someday her firsts will be my lasts, I get this overwhelming sense of pride knowing that I'm raising a girl who walk to the beat of her own drum and speak clearly for herself. One day those first little steps in the living room will be her last out the door to college. Those first words will turn into a last goodbye as she leaves the nest. And my tears, will be a combination of happiness and sadness.


3. You Are The Glue That Holds Your Family Together

Last, but simply not least, you are the glue that holds your family together. It may sound cliche, but it's true. When your child falls and gets hurt who does he/she run to? When they need someone to tuck them in or read a bedtime story, who do they run to? And when they're scared? They run to mom. Why? Because, as moms, we are their safe space. We go to work. We help with school; and we hold down the fort. I don't know about you, but my mom truly is the glue that holds us together. Whenever I feel like I've bent so far and I'm about to break, who do I call? My mom. Yes, as a grown woman, I still call my mom when life gets tough. Why? Because I trust her. She won't judge me. She will listen and give guidance when it's needed. And yes, every once in a while she does give me a reality check, but she is the foundation the keeps us together. 

I could go on and on with a list of why we do what we do as mothers; but I'll keep it short for the sake of this blog. And, yes, dad's are just as important as moms are, but I can't really write from the perspective of dad. But, I can tell you this, the chaos is worth it and the tears aren't always bad. Sometimes they are sad tears. Sometimes they are mad or scared tears; but, most of the time they are happy, proud tears. Yes, I won't always be Wonder Woman to Storm (especially during the teen years, I'm sure...insert eye roll). Sure her firsts will someday be my lasts; and someday I may need to be the glue that holds the frame together. But, one thing's for sure, I won't reflect on what I should have done, because my daughter will know that everything I did, I gave it my all for her best interest. And then, she will know what motherly love truly is.


-Sincerely, 


The Overwhelmed Mama!


Comments

Popular Posts